Home

Wednesday 1 February 2012

Room Idea: Magnetic Chalkboard Wall.

I'm thinking of redecorating my room. It was previously the study so it has TONS of table space. There are two free walls in this room and I'm thinking of turning one of them into a huge magnetic board/ chalkboard. I love creating collages on almost any surface I can find, so how about dedicating a permanent space for my collages. This way I can easily update my works and also leave reminders for myself and messages for anyone who decides to break into my room. Haha. I asked around and was recommended one specific brand. Rust-Oleum. It's this company based in Illinois. And there's this interesting story behind how it was founded. Captain Robert Fergusson accidentally spilled a tank of raw fish oil on the rusted deck of his boat and noticed that the spill stopped the rust from spreading. So, Rust-Oleum rust-preventative paint was founded. Don't worry, the paint doesn't smell like fish oil. Yuck. A lot of R&D took care of that.

The products I found are,

Rust-Oleum Magnetic Primer
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=127
and

Rust-Oleum Chalkboard Brush On
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=103

You first use the Magnetic Primer then you can use any paint on top of it. Yup, even Chalkboard Paint. They sell these paints in 1 Quart sizes. 1 Quart of paint generally covers 100 square feet or approximately 9.2 m^2. But that's just one coat. You'll find detailed directions on the websites which I have linked above. Very (childishly) excited and I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment